You try something. It doesn't quite work. You make modifications. Or you try something else.
My first design submissions were to a crochet magazine. One of the magazine's upcoming themes was a celebration of buttons.
I made a pillbox and sewed on rows and rows of vintage pearl buttons. Unfortunately, all those buttons weighed the hat down and turned the pillbox into a head-hugging beanie. After I removed about half of the buttons, the pillbox kept its shape (see photo above), but I still wasn't happy with it.
OK. Next time I tried a hat with fewer buttons -- just 20 or so around a narrow, terracotta-color crocheted hat band. I liked it a lot. And so did the magazine.
NOTE: This is the eighth in my "Hundreds of Hats Later: What I've Learned" blog posts. Next up: "Beauty in Crochet: Post-Minimalism."